Our Brick n Mortar Store

Thursday, November 13, 2008

The story of a dining table

Starting a new home after getting married often means things are done on a shoestring budget. I have taken years to build all the pieces that are now part of, whichever and wherever, the place my family makes home.(yes we move often)
When it came to deciding the dining set …I knew I wanted to compose it myself. ( Yep, like a piece of art) For one, it had to fit my budget and the other, I didn’t want to feel that budget was a compromising factor.
There were some things I was quite sure of. I wanted a round table top and the chairs with arm rests. We often linger on with our conversations at the dining table (which I love).
Try using an architectural piece and you will know what a style statement it makes. I was eager to try out a shop on Mehrauli-Gurgaon road that used to get these beautiful carved stone pieces, from Jaipur. I asked him to make me an urn shaped pot …the height of a dining table base, but not with a narrow mouth. I needed at least 19 inches (approx.) to balance the glass top on.
This led to the next decision the glass top for the table. I was mostly suggested that a 12 mm to 14 mm thickness was ‘good’. But I wasn’t sure. I was more in favor of the 19mm thickness. I was scared thinner glass will have less weight and if someone bent over on the table it would topple . Remember, I didn’t have a very wide base to balance the top on. And thicker glass top would not be that fragile either. The stone base was not quite what I had ordered. But I liked the look of the yellow sand stone. I took it. When both the base and the top were delivered, I had these chairs I picked in a small lane of Ghitorni(mehrauli-Gurgaon road) waiting. After all the delivery boys left…. I cleaned the glass to a shine…put the chairs in and stepped back. Had there been a mirror I might have caught myself blushing. I really liked my new dining set.

7 comments:

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

It is a lovely idea for a dining table:-)

Thanks for dropping by at Rang Decor:-)

Arch

Rajee Sood said...

Thanks Archana,
A lot of people told me I should include the dining table in my blog...and I have to say it is so interesting to work with stone as an element in designing a space.
Your comments are really appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you often.
Rajee

Anonymous said...

hi rajee, came here rom Archana's blog... you have a very beutiful blog here and i love your ideas.....have started reading the stuff and will comment more often, i thing...
Beautiful home....
now lemme go back to reading your blog...
B.Rgds
Vidya

Anonymous said...

hi rajee, came here rom Archana's blog... you have a very beutiful blog here and i love your ideas.....have started reading the stuff and will comment more often, i thing...
Beautiful home....
now lemme go back to reading your blog...
B.Rgds
Vidya

Rajee Sood said...

Hi Vigya,
Its sooo .... great you took the time to write your comments ... I sure will look forward to them ... let me also know what you look forward to. Its always funto hear back from all who enjoy my blog.
Rajee

Ritzy said...

Aha...thats evil. You know with your talent, no one can ever imitate you. I couldn't find this dining table anywhere even if I was ready to throw money at it.

Rajee Sood said...

Hi Ritzy,
Wow! That is load full of compliments you send my way ... though I have to admit, I have a whole list of people I aspire to try and be, even a tiny bit creative like ... :)
As for this dining table ... in some time it may come up on the market when I find myself a great rectangle piece this time ... family is now bigger than it was when I designed this ... ;)... so incase you still love it ... let me know ... :)
THanks again... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails